Monday, March 21, 2011

Cajun Shrimp and Rice

This recipe came from the Food Network website and has a level of EASY, a prep time of 14 minutes and a cook time of 6 minutes. Let me just say that yes, it is super easy and takes no time at all. Honestly, I don't even think it took me that long and it was so good and fresh tasting! The best part is that it is one of those one dish kind of meals. I just threw together a salad and dinner was done!
Cajun Shrimp and Rice
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp Cajun seasoning
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined (I used frozen and that made this easy recipe even easier...I just thawed them out under running water as I prepped the rest of the meal)
Salt and Pepper
4 plum tomatoes, chopped
2 bunches scallions, chopped (I forgot to pick these up at the grocery store, so I just used some green onions and they were great and added a pop of color)
3 cups cooked white rice (I used the Steam Fresh rice and just made it in the microwave)
3 tablespoons chopepd fresh parsley (I skipped this)
Lemon wedges for serving (optional)
**I halved this recipe if you are thinking it looks smaller!
Heat the butter, olive oil and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the Cajun seasoning and shrimp and cook, stirring until the shrimp begin to curl, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
Add the tomatoes and scallions (or green onions in my case) to the skillet and cook, stirring about 1 minute.
Add the rice and 1/4 cup water and continue to cook until the rice is warmed through and the shrimp are opaque, about 3 more minutes. Stir in the parsley and serve with lemon if desired.
Dinner is done!
Again, SUPER easy and so good!! I'm always a little scared to cook any type of seafood because I don't always get the best results, but this was fool-proof. Enjoy! :)

1 comment: